On the same day Nintendo unveiled the cost of their latest gaming console, Trump announced widespread tariffs.
Nintendo released information about the Switch 2—its first new gaming console in eight years—Wednesday, and said its launch price would be $449.99, which is significantly more than the original Switch launched at. Forbes has reached out to Nintendo for comment.
Nintendo is delaying US Switch 2 pre-orders in response to the sweeping tariffs announced by President Donald Trump earlier this week, reports Polygon. As of Nintendo's announcement of the console on Wednesday,
Nintendo will retail the Switch 2 for $449.99 at launch, which is significantly higher than the original Switch's $299 price tag. A separate bundle that includes the new "Mario Kart World" game will also be available for $499.99.
Amazon is now taking Nintendo Switch 2 pre-order invite registrations. You'll need to hit the "Request Invite" button on the page to put your name in the hat, but doing so doesn't guarantee a pre-order or even a slot in the first wave. It is a necessary step to getting into the mix at all, though.
Nintendo said it is delaying the start of pre-orders for the Switch 2 gaming device in the United States as it examines the potential impact of tariffs.
Explore more
"Pre-orders for Nintendo Switch 2 in the U.S. will not start April 9, 2025 in order to assess the potential impact of tariffs and evolving market conditions," according to a company statement. "Nintendo will update timing at a later date. "
Nintendo has taken the unprecedented decision to delay Switch 2 pre-orders, blaming the impact of Trump's tariff war and "evolving market conditions."
Nintendo Co. said it’s delaying pre-orders for the new Switch 2 due to concerns over the impact of global tariffs instituted by US President Donald Trump.